Thursday, July 3, 2008

The Drive West

After spending 2 relaxing days in West Virginia we left for the great wide open Midwest.

After getting a somewhat late start we were headed west through Ohio, the most boring state out there. Indiana was uneventful until the radio transmitter to my IPod broke while I was driving and listening to Fresh Air. :( Did I mention that Matt had loaned it to me and I broke it! This distressed me greatly and put me in a pretty foul mood. Then we hit a major traffic jam due to an accident by the Indiana/Illinois border outside of Chicago. So the first day tensions ran high but we made it in one piece to our hotel for the first night.

The second day started out much better as we continued north and west towards Wisconsin. Our first stop for the day was made in the Wisconsin Dells at a Cheese Shop. I have an awesome picture of me in a cheese hat, but I'm having trouble uploading it, perhaps I will add it later, so check back! From that stop we continued on to the best Pie in the Midwest at the Norske Nook. Where I got Lefse, a Norwegian flat bread and an awesome piece of Raspberry Pie. We crossed the Minnesota border and seemed as though we were almost here, but we didn't know that we still had a long night ahead of us.

As we were approaching the Minnesota border Uncle Dave called with the news that the hot water heater in the house wasn't work. (we are staying in my grandparents house which as been up for sale for 3 years now.) Well my parents started hemming and hawing about what to do. I took the "whatever" approach, because we would figure it out...and we did. My parents tried unsuccessfully to fix it and my uncle tried as well. Finally at 1am my uncle figured out the main problem, and got the water and hot water working. My parents had already checked into a hotel for the night and I had agreed to stay in the house with no hot water.

So I spent today knitting and I am almost completely finished with the 4th Christmas stocking. It went by much more quickly than I realized that it would. But I will be glad to have that project finished! Luckily I have something else to knit on for the ride home. The past three days I have spent hours knitting...oh well I'm not complaining.

So the fun begins tomorrow for the reunion! I'll have updates after that I hope!

No comments: